Monday, November 24, 2008

What is Islam?

From a very young age, I’ve been taught about the Articles of Faith (Rukun Iman) and the Pillars of Islam (Rukun Islam). For me, that is the basis of my belief, and I reckon that makes me a Muslim. I have never been asked to explain myself and I have been happy in my ‘ignorance’.

That is until someone asked me the question, “What is Islam?”

Normally, I would have told him about the Pillars of Islam, and that would be that.

But this was someone who wanted to know about the essence of Islam. And I could feel that he was sincere in his quest of Truth.

I am what most would call a ‘practicing Muslim’. I know the attestation of faith – the syahadah. I pray the way I have been taught to pray. I fast during Ramadan. I give charity. I observe the korban (sacrifice). And I am registered to perform the Hajj in the next few years.

So it looks like I’m only a Muslim by the rituals that I observe, a ritualistic Muslim. Am I a Muslim in spirit too? In essence?

I think I can only answer my friend when I have answered this question to myself first.

No comments: