Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Defenders of Islam


It’s interesting to note that there are now so many self-proclaimed ‘defenders of Islam’. This, to me, implies that Islam is too weak that it requires these persons to come forward in defence of it.



I have been brought up with the belief that an important tenet of Islam is the Shahadah or witnessing and according to my Ustaz or teacher, this Shahadah should be reflected in our daily lives.


When I live my life in a way that portrays the beauty of Islam and invites others to Islam, not by mere words but by the very essence of my being, then I am living the Shahadah of Islam. If, on the other hand, my actions actually drive others away, then it is the Shahadah of kufr (disbelief).


I have to ask myself as to the kind of witness that I am and/or would like to be, and I would like to invite the ‘defenders’ to ask themselves the same question.

No comments: